Monday, November 15, 2010

[It's Got] 99 Problems



I don't know how many of you have been following the Anthology of Rap kerfuffle, but NPR's Jacob Ganz lays it all out.

In brief: the 900+ page anthology of lyrics came out last week - and already people are counting up errors. What does it say when a book about rap put out by Yale University Press and meant for scholars and scholarship seems to be based on online sources without proper fact checks?
Just something (a lot of things) to think about on this Monday afternoon.

Seriously, check out the NPR article.
Then there's the Slate review that started it all.
And an NPR interview with Anthology of Rap editor Adam Bradley, plus an excerpt from the book.

1 comment:

  1. I just felt I had to comment on this post because the title of it was 99 problems, which is pretty much the motto of my life. I will never read a 900+ page anthology of anything however. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete