Friday, January 8, 2010

Inside The Museums / Infinity Goes Up On Trial



A favorite daydream of mine involves camping out in the British Library's Treasure Room Mrs-Basil-E-Frankweiler-style* (underneath the interactive Blake display - I've really thought this out) - but the Library has pre-empted me with the fantastic new Virtual Book Exhibit in its online gallery.

Now you can flip through pages in the manuscripts of William Byrd's My Ladye Nevells Booke, Mozart's diaries, or Handel's Messiah (not to mention the 15th century Sherborne Missal, or a selection of Leonardo da Vinci's sketches) without having to pay for a plane ticket. (I doubt this will stop me from daydreaming about London, though.)



*That book with the kids who live in a museum? At night they gather coins from the fountain so they can buy something to eat from the café, and they are on constant watch for the museum guards who patrol off-hours.

1 comment: