Monday, January 25, 2010

No Mirrors In My Nana's House

Do you know how hard it is to find a VCR in this town? I have a major presentation for my opera class today and the only video performance that was easily available (read: that I didn't have to buy) is on VHS. So I headed to the downtown library - no VCR. Okay, well, I hear that some friends to the north have a built-in VCR - I put the video in and the TV breaks (sorry, guys). I give in and make the trip to the campus library's recording room - eight TVs! On closer inspection: four are DVD only; two of the VCRs are broken; one keeps spitting the tape back out. The last one? There's no headphone jack (read: no sound in a shared recording room) - but video success!

Which got me thinking about other more-or-less obsolete technologies. Here today for you: the history of the boombox.



(originally via npr, now via youtube.)

1 comment:

  1. Aaaah! You have 99 problems today. Poor you and lack of VCR. Who knew it would be so hard?

    But I beg to differ as to the obsolescence of the boom box. As long as Say Anything retains its place in the cultural consciousness, whackos will still be doing things with boomboxes and putting it on youtube (just search for mobler).

    ReplyDelete