Wednesday, February 10, 2010

There Were Bells On A Hill / But I Never Heard Them Ringing



My tinnitus (can I claim it like that?) is usually tuned to a B-flat.

Apparently, scientists are finding that if I were to remove all the B-flats from the music I listen to, my tinnitus (I'm claiming it) would decrease in loudness. Researchers think that either a re-wiring of the auditory cortex causes the brain to focus on different pitches, or that the auditory neurons ascribe to a "use-it-or-lose-it" philosophy.

I think getting rid of the B-flats would adversely effect my musicology career.

The rest of the article at Discover Magazine.


(special thanks to Maureen, image via tinnitus-tinnitus.org)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I bet your musical life would be really flat without any B-flat in it! Get it? GET IT? Har har har.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh well, you'll be stuck with music in C major, G major, A minor, E minor, etc.......and more or less confined to music before 1800. :P

    ReplyDelete