Monday, February 1, 2010

Writing This Letter / Hoping You're Okay

To Leonard Bernstein
7 Middagh Street, Brooklyn, NY
Main 4.9079
April 28th 1941

Dear Lenny,
Please forgive the lateness of this - but I have been working all day & night for the last three weeks on the score of the operetta & I haven't had a moment for letters.
I was very, very pleased that you liked the Sinf. da Req. Judging by your remarks you certainly 'got' what I wrote, & it was extremely nice of you to take the trouble to write & say so. I am sure that it's the 'best so far' - and as it's the last, that is as it should be. I might argue with you about one or two of your remarks about my earlier masterpieces - but may be there is something in what you say. The only thing is, maybe those particular vices are less vicious than some others I can think of - such as inhibitions, sterility, self-conscious ideas of originality - but we won't go into that now!
How are you? I saw you were conducting on the Radio on Saturday - how did it go? When do you come to New York? I shall be around until June 1st or thereabouts. Give me a call when you get here. How are your chamber concerts going? As you probably know - the Bowlesesses departed for Mexico.
The Operetta is chaotic. Goberman is not doing it - Hugh Ross has taken it over - & although he has the right mentality for training choruses, (entre nous) he is not so hot on orchestras. However - we shall see.
Thank you again for your note. You ask how the others liked the symphony - all the ones I respect were pleased - including Aaron, Chavez, Colin, Lincoln et all -

Best of luck,
Yours ever,
Benjy B.


(via Letters from a Life: Selected Letters of Benjamin Britten Vol. 3; Edited by Donald Mitchell, Philip Reed, and Mervyn Cooke)

No comments:

Post a Comment